Intro to Forms in ODK¶
Because of the complexity of the XForms format, we do not recommend coding XForms directly in XML. The recommended process is:
- Begin with one of the JavaRosa-compliant build tools.
- Edit the XML only if necessary.
- Before editing an XForm directly, you need to be familiar with the ODK XForm specification.
- Use ODK Form Validate to check that the edited XForm is well-formed and fully compliant.
JavaRosa-compliant build tools¶
Most ODK users design their forms in Excel, following the XLSForm specification. To convert XLSForms to XForms, you can use:
- ODK's online XLSForm converter
- XLSForm Offline for Mac or Windows
- XLSForm for Windows
- pyxform, a Python XLSForm converter with a command-line tool
If you are comfortable with using the command-line, Pyxform is the most efficient XLSForm converter.