Visualizing Geographic Data¶
- Make sure you have set up your ODK Aggregate server.
- You should know how ODK Collect works.
- You should be familiar with form designers like ODK Build, XLSForm to create your location based forms and upload it to ODK Aggregate server.
Google Fusion Tables¶
Google Fusion Tables is an experimental data visualization web application provided by Google for data management. Fusion tables can be used for visualizing dataset on a map.
Follow these steps to view your data using fusion tables:
- Login to your ODK Aggregate server.
- In the Submissions tab, under Filter Submissions, select the form you want to use.
- To enable the APIs go to Google Cloud Platform and click on Console in the top right corner. Click on the three horizontal bars in the top left corner, now select APIs & services from the menu and then select Library option.
- You will be able to see the API Library page.
- Search the APIs in the search bar.
- Click on Enable.
- Now return to ODK Aggregate server and click on the Publish button.
- In Publish to field, choose the platform from the drop-down menu to which you want to publish your data, choose Google Fusion Tables. In the Data to Publish field, Select the option from the drop-down menu to define what you want to upload:
- Upload Existing Submission Data Only will only upload the existing data you already have submitted to your ODK Aggregate server.
- Stream New Submission Data Only can be used if you want new submissions to be automatically entered into Google Fusion Tables.
- BOTH Upload Existing and Stream New Submission Data will upload your existing submissions into Fusion Tables and continue automatically adding new submissions to your table.
Choose BOTH Upload Existing and Stream New Submission Data and click on Publish.
If you choose BOTH Upload Existing and Stream New Submission Data option, you would be able to create a link between your data in Google Earth and Google Fusion Tables, for more information, refer this link.
- You will need to enter an email address and that email address will be granted access to the documents.
- Check the inbox of the email address that you entered and there would be an email from odk-oauth2-publishing, click on Open.
- After clicking on Open you would be redirected to Google Fusion tables website. Here you would be able to see your submissions.
- Select Map of location and you should see your data points displayed on a Google Map.
If the points aren't displaying where you expect them to display, visit Help . You can also customize pop-up balloons in Google Fusion Tables using Change info window button under the option.
Google Earth is a virtual globe that accesses satellite and aerial imagery, and other geographic data over the internet to represent the Earth as a three-dimensional globe
Follow these steps to view your data using Google Earth:
- Login to your ODK Aggregate server.
- In the Submissions tab, under Filter Submissions, select the form you want to use and click on Export
- Choose the type as
KML fileand click on Export.
- You don't need to change the default options, but you can select the Export according to your choice. Click on
- You will be redirected to Export Submissions page where you can download your kml file.
- After downloading go to Google Earth website or you can download it from here. Wait for a while as Google Earth takes time to load.
- Click on and to enable KML import click on Settings.
- In the Settings window, enable KML file import and click on SAVE.
- Click on IMPORT KML FILE and import the downloaded kml file.
- Now you will be able to see your data in an organized manner on Google Earth.
- On Google Earth, you can choose your map style, add additional points, lines and polygons to add more information for the enhancement of map. You can also try out this tutorial on how to annotate Google Earth.